Sunday, July 5, 2009

The 4th of July is Exhausting...

A marvelous 4th of July weekend in Juneau. The weather couldn't be better (it might even be a tad too warm - was near 80 again yesterday). Started out the festivities with cocktails on Thursday evening. Then on Friday Doug, Eric, and I - accompanied by Jasper and Eric's two Labradors, Coal and Sadie, hiked up Montana Creek. I had not been up there for DECADES and, in fact, had never hiked the trail as far as we went this trip. It was just beautiful - the pictures do NOT do justice to the area...



The pack hits the trail


Coal is a BIG dog


I didn't compensate enough for the deep shadows...sorry about that, boys...


Right pretty...


The hounds slept well on Friday night...

Yesterday was the standard 4th drill...with the exception of hauling and stacking a cord of wood at the elders at 8 AM... I rode into town with Doug and Alison for the parade followed by the mandatory couple of pints of beer at the Triangle. Took gizmo for a good walk and then over to Alison's and Doug's for BBQ ribs. Seriously yummy.

I'll have a bunch of parade pics at some point; but I'm just not in the mood to process this morning. It's going to be another scorcher so I think Jasper and I need to hit the trail before the heat of the day. Think we'll walk up the new trail behind Crow Hill than connects to the Treadwell Ditch.

Joan gets in on the ferry this evening so Jasper will be homeward bound...

In other news, it's possible that you've heard about the resignation of our Governor. I'm still scratching my head as is everybody else. It makes no sense to me. But then she is a whimsical (not to say erratic) kind of gal. Still, one should not look a gift horse in the mouth. Adios!

The soon-to-be Governor of Alaska, Sean Parnell, is as dull as Ms. Palin was charismatic. I don't think we'll be seeing Alaska news on the national wire too much after he assumes office. I'm guessing his ascension is probably a good think for all my pals who are still wage slaves for the State. He should have better relations with the legislature than Sarah - at least with the Republicans. In terms of policy matters there is no reason to think the Parnell Administration will differ substantively from the Palin Administration however.

Although, as Dougie pointed out yesterday, he WILL need to pick a fight with somebody - to establish his own credentials as Governor and to lay the groundwork for next year's campaign. With luck he will focus on energy issues. He is just as intolerant as Palin on all the hot-button social questions of the day and I just hope we're not in for 18 months of cultural warfare.

Still, one may as well try to remain optimistic - perhaps he will indeed rise to the challenge of his new office.

Well, my laundry's done...so time to hit the road...

No comments: