Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The Wasilla Hillbillies Revisited

Palin is unlike any other national figure in modern American life... The clouds of tabloid conflict and controversy that swirl around her and her extended clan—the surprise pregnancies, the two-bit blood feuds, the tawdry in-laws and common-law kin caught selling drugs or poaching game—give her family a singular status in the rogues’ gallery of political relatives... Palin’s life has sometimes played out like an unholy amalgam of Desperate Housewives and Northern Exposure.
Vanity Fair


If you have not already done so...check-out the article on my Governor in the latest issue of Vanity Fair: http://www.vanityfair.com/

It's most definitely worth a read...

In other news, Juneau eagerly awaits the start of the Fourth of July festivities. My sister is a member of the group that organizes the parade - and as of yesterday I think there were about 80 entrants. Good ol' timey Fourth of July fun. Fireworks, parades, and games of chance and skill at Sandy Beach in Douglas. Beer.

I have been making the rounds of local merchants in search of swag for the Juneau Junior Golf Club. I have a number of possible contributors taking the matter under advisement - but nobody has actually forked-over the cash yet.

Yesterday I played a round at the local course. It was pretty wet and I may have lost a pint of blood to the resident mosquitoes and no-see-ums. I am scratching like a hound dog this morning. Still, I enjoyed whacking the little white ball - and my game seems no worse for wear despite six months of inactivity. Which is to say I still play extremely poorly. I hope to play again today; but the jury is out as it is just too wet this morning. Maybe this afternoon...

Indeed our weather forecast has been of the "free beer tomorrow" variety the past several days. Promises of improvement tomorrow - but tomorrow has yet to arrive.

Went over to Joan's last night for supper. The celebrity chefs were her two boarders, Jeff and Leah. Jeff is the new administrative manager for Perseverance Theater - seems like a nice guy. He roasted a chicken on the grill. Leah made a great salad with a vinaigrette dressing and tasty little fried chevre balls. And for dessert she made cheese cake bits with fresh raspberries. Good company and good food.

Well, just took a call on the phone. It was mom. A half-cord of wood is now waiting in the driveway to be hauled and stacked. So...my FIRST workout of the day is set.

Later gang!

2 comments:

Eric said...

I need to score a cord or two. Where is Tatoo hanging these days?

Elmer Lindstrom said...

I assume he's over by Liquor Barrel...I wasn't at the house when he delivered the wood. He's been working a regular job; but is off for a month. I'd just keep checking the same old place - he'd driving a blue pick-up these days.

The wood was crap by the way...been sitting awhile. It's real wet...

Through with that chore...think I'll go play a round of golf...