Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Just Direct Your Feet - to the Sunny Side of the Street

Clear as a bell this morning. Supposed to be over 80 degrees today...a real scorcher.

Yesterday was quite spectacular too - after the morning fog burned-off. I got mucho exercise, a good workout at the Club, took Leah's doggies for a walk down past Sandy Beach, and went for a bike ride out to the glacier and back.

The doggies Leah is caring for are quite mellow. Mocha is a 15 year old beagle - kinda standoffish. Not unfriendly - but not particularly friendly either. Sitka is a couple of years younger and is a big goofy golden retriever. A very nice dog. Leah is working ten hour days for the zip line folks so I go take the hounds for a walk in the mid-afternoon. They are appreciative.

Leah gets tomorrow off - we're going to go out for dinner somewhere and I'm going to see if I can also talk her into a hike. Haven't been up Granite Creek yet this year and tomorrow would be an ideal day to make the trek.

In other news, I have now made flight reservations for a fall excursion. Will head to Seattle on September 7th and drive to Portland for a couple of days. Dougie and Alison arrive in Seattle on the night of the 10th and I have offered to pick them up on the morning of the 11th for the drive to Redmond, Oregon and the Juneau Golf Club Fall Classic. Will head back to Seattle on the 19th and then catch a flight to Boston on the morning of the 21st.

I have two weeks back east and haven't a clue what I'll do. My initial thought was to take a trans-Canada train ride eastbound and then fly home from Boston after a week or so of leaf-peeping. But the choo choo is muy expensive - it works out to over $400 a day for nine days. And three of those days is spent crossing the prairies - an experience that I suspect maybe three hours would suffice. Ultimately I concluded that $400 a day could get me a four star hotel and a three star date in Boston...and would be a lot more fun besides.

After a few days in Boston I'll hit the road and do some touring of New England for ten days or so. There are a bizillion cool country inns and B&B establishments. And I'm contemplating a couple of days in Montreal. I'll fly from Boston to Juneau on October 6th.

Another October in Juneau...son-of-a-bitch...

Finally, I offer the poster below from an unnamed admirer of our former Governor.


Washington D. C. or Bust!

No comments: