Friday, July 31, 2009

The Old and the Young

It's been HOT the past couple of days - we set records both yesterday (80) and the day before (82). And it's been quite muggy. Of course this is nothing compared to the all-time record set in Seattle on Wednesday - think it was 107. YIKES! Pretty damn hot for the Great Northwest.

It's been too hot to go to the Club...but have been doing a good amount of biking and walking. Yesterday was kinda a bust in the exercise department; I took dad to the doctor's office in the morning. His blood is still too thin so they have reduced the blood thinner prescription again. His edema has returned with a vengeance. I don't think there's much left in the medical bag o' tricks - and he's getting weaker all the time. No pain, though. So it certainly could be worse. We now have the home health folks coming in every week and they're very helpful - good for mom's morale as much as for dad's health. I know I feel the stress of the situation and I'm not usually there more than an hour or two a day - poor mom is under the gun 24/7. Sigh...

On a much more positive note, I had a wonderful time with Leah yesterday...we took her doggie charges for a walk past Sandy Beach in the afternoon and had a very good supper at Zephyr last evening. We had a great visit. Every time I spend quality time with either one of the gals I spend the next couple of days shaking my head in wonder at how delightful they are...

Not that 25 year old gals don't have problems... Leah is struggling with what to do next...there's no reason to believe the job market has suddenly blossomed in Portland the past couple of months and she dreads the prospect of the job search. On the other hand, she is very sensibly and methodically considering other options including a return to academe. I have no doubt she will noodle through this... I think she's had a great summer in Juneau.

Well, time to get the Friday show on the road. The home health folks got mom and dad to fill-out applications for the Pioneer's Home and I need to get them filed. Also will make the rounds and hopefully collect a couple of donations for the Junior Golf Club. I haven't walked the dike trail in ten days or so and am feeling the need - although I'm sure I will be dismayed to take note of the fact all the summer foliage is rapidly going to seed... And this evening it's off to the Island Pub to welcome my buddy Carol Collins to the ranks of the retired. I will take my camera...

Have a great weekend everybody!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had a great time with you too yesterday!