Saturday, July 11, 2009

I'm Fascinated by the Treadwell Ditch

More nice weather...although it has been smoky and it is pretty much overcast this morning. No indication of rain until late next week however - probably just in time to greet our visitors from Seattle and Portland for the annual mini-reunion.

On Thursday I hiked up the new Gastineau Meadows Trail behind Crow Hill and then north on the Treadwell Ditch Trail to the Dan Moller Trail and then down to the road and back to the car via the Douglas Highway. It was way fun.

The ditch trail is in fair shape as you start north through the trees and muskeg but deteriorates as you approach Lawson Creek. All the little bridges over the numerous gullies are fallen down and there is no sign of a bridge over Lawson Creek. I had to go downstream a bit to find a place to cross. After crossing Lawson Creek the trail continues in very poor condition for a little more than a quarter mile but then improves steadily and is in very good condition for the last half mile or so before you reach the junction of the Dan Moller trail. Quite a bit of bear sign but nothing real fresh.

This was not a long hike but was very interesting to me. The Treadwell Ditch was started in 1882 and completed in 1889. It runs all the way from Fish Creek out North Douglas to the old mine properties south Sandy Beach in Douglas. Access to the trail is a quarter mile from the Eaglecrest parking lot on the north end. It was designed to collect and carry water for use in the mines. Quite an engineering feat.

I may have to pay a visit to the historical library...

I've never hiked the ditch trail before and tomorrow or early next week plan to hike from Eaglecrest south to the Dan Moller trail. May do it in one day or two...

Trail Mix, the local trails outfit, plans to rehabilitate the entire trail to make it a bike path. They've applied for over a million bucks in federal dollars although I don't know if they've received it or not. The tone of the articles I've read suggest this is going to be a happening thing and the Forest Service appears supportive. Excellent!


Dark Eyed Junco in the Gastineau Meadows


Winter Wren - these guys are hard to photograph. They flit around constantly and are always in the woods where lighting is poor. Still searching for the definitive Wren shot!

I had a fairly quiet day yesterday. Went to the Club for the first time in a week for a good long workout (it's HOT in the Club on sunny days) and then ran errands. Late yesterday afternoon Bob Dilley replaced the facia board along the roofline of my deck and I stood around and pretended to help. Some of the old board was rotten as I discovered when it fell apart under the weight of a hanging basket this spring... I think Bob is contemplating replacing my deck and stairs too. Would be an excellent excuse to leave town on vacation when that happens.

I'm supposed to go to a DHSS picnic today and then to Laura's for a golf club planning supper this evening. Maybe I'll ride my bike out to the picnic at Auke Rec...

Later gang.

2 comments:

Eric said...

Elmo,

Tatoo dumped a cord of wood in my driveway Tuesday. If you are looking for an outdoor workout you are more than welcome to put your exstensive wood stacking skills to work here at Casa SwanSong.

Elmer Lindstrom said...

Be happy to help tomorrow! A free breakfast at the Valley Restaurant would be about adequate remuneration. I am particularly productive after the Filipino breakfast at said establishment...

Please advise...