Monday, July 20, 2009

Sweet & Sour Weekend

Yin & Yang, Hot & Cold, Sweet & Sour - anyway you care to describe it - a truly bipolar weekend... I split my time between Bartlett Regional Hospital where dad continues to reside and spending quality time at our annual high school pals mini-reunion.

The reunion was, once again, a very fun event. Portlanders Jane Ellis and Jim Larson and Bowels of Ballard Girl, Terry Harrigan, constituted the visiting team. The home team consisted of Dougie and Alison, Julia and Ralph Kibby, Eric, and yours truly. With luck, I will one day be traded to the visiting team...probably for something like a case of cheap wine, a bushel of fresh produce and a gross of condoms.

The featured reunion event was supper at Kibby's on Saturday. It was delightful. Julia made an excellent coq au vin. Alison's English trifle dessert was outstanding. There was much banter, ribbing, teasing and other good natured abuse. And it's possible that a couple of cases of wine were consumed...

Photographic evidence of this extravaganza does exist - but it is not my best work. And in the interest of maintaining the high standards that you have all come to expect from this Blog - and to avoid the niagara of abuse that would follow immediately upon publication of said photographs, I have elected to be discreet. Of course, I may change my mind at any time...

Yesterday morning Eric, Jim, and I went to the Douglas Cafe for a late morning breakfast and then Jim and I did a quick tour of downtown and spent a few minutes visiting my mom. Then off the airport...a VERY short visit for Jim who was back at work in Portland at 6 AM this morning.

Julia gave Jane and Terry the full Juneau tour yesterday and I joined them late in the afternoon for more serious bullshitting and then took Terry to the airport to catch the last flight of the day.

I am extremely fond of this crew...

Meanwhile, dad continues to have his blood thinned at the hospital. As of yesterday morning, his blood work still wasn't quite where they wanted it - although he said he felt good and the edema is markedly improved. He will likely be discharged today or tomorrow.

Speaking of which, I need to get showered and dressed and go pick-up mom for our morning visit to the hospital.

Later gang...

No comments: