Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Big Ditch was Way Cool

I have long since learned that high expectations are, as likely as not, to end in disappointment. So it was with some trepidation I embarked on this cruise knowing full well my longstanding fascination and high regard for the Panama Canal might prove misplaced.

Fortunately that was not the case. The transit of the canal more than lived-up to its billing.

After we sailed through Gatun Lake we passed Gamboa at the east end of the Culebra Cut, the six mile stretch of the canal that was blasted and dug at the top of Panama’s continental divide. Ninety-five years later it is still easy to imagine what life must have been like at the time. The area consists of steep unstable hillsides that might give way at any time – particularly in the rainy season. Even today dredging must go on constantly to keep the ship channel unobstructed. One can almost see TR at the controls of a huge steam shovel…

After passing through the cut the ship sailed on for a few more miles and into the locks at the east end of Miraflores lake. Then across the lake (only about a mile) and into another set of locks that in two stages lowered the Zuiderdam back to sea level and the Pacific Ocean.

The locks remain substantially unchanged from the time when they first began operating. And the system for moving the ships through them is amazing. Lines are passed from shore to ship and small electric railroad engines on each side of the vessel guide the ship forward though the locks. It is big time fun to watch…

The ship’s company was in high spirits the entire day…a veritable carnival at sea. Bars were set-up on the bow and on all decks to keep whistles wet without the need to go indoors. My tolerance for the heat, however, is not high and by noon I could only stand to be outdoors for ten minutes or so at a stretch.

Given the boozy nature of the event, I am surprised that were no apparent cases of heatstroke - although I did see one stout elderly gentleman take a nasty tumble on the stairs that lead into the bar at the Crow’s Nest. He was packed-off to the infirmary. In fact it’s the second tumble I’ve seen at that location – I had to help pick a geezer off the floor a couple of nights ago during cocktail hour.

I note that the Swine Flu scare continues unabated. The only news channel we get on the telly is CNN International which is providing round-the-clock coverage of the outbreak. I understand that the Rotterdam canceled its Mazatlan port call today and the Holland website indicates that they are monitoring the situation closely and further updates will be forthcoming. I’m sure HAL’s attorneys are working overtime. As of this hour we are still scheduled to arrive in Porto Chiapas, Mexico Thursday morning at 8 AM local time.

In other swine-related news, I had an outstanding Asian pork dish for supper last evening.

I have tons of pictures; but they must await my return to Juneau to process and upload them. It would break my bank to try to upload them while onboard.

No comments: