Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Modern Travel

I spent last evening in pre-flight checks of my various electronic travel aids. It takes about half-a day to "power-up" these electronic devices.

  • Laptop charged? Check.
  • Windows updates downloaded and installed? Check.
  • Norton Anti-virus downloaded, installed, and full disc scan complete? Check.
  • Garmin GPS navigator charged and map updates downloaded? Check.
  • Camera battery charged? Check.
  • Cellphone charged? Check.
  • iPod synchronized with new tunes? Check.
  • iPod, camera, cellphone, laptop and GPS cords, connectors, and misc. accessories stowed? Check.

Although I will NOT be dragging a bag of golf clubs around this trip, I certainly will not be traveling light. A suit bag replaces the golf bag to fulfill Holland America Line's (HAL) sartorial requirements. Twenty or so pounds of camera gear fit into my Canon backpack. The laptop gets slung over one shoulder. And of course there's a fair-sized suitcase. I need a mule to haul all this crap.

Other preparations continue apace. Yesterday was laundry day. And based on a steely-eyed assessment of my socks and shorts departments, today's activities will include a trip to Freddie's to replenish inventory of said items. Indeed I purged every sock in the joint yesterday - an annual event that I have found to be the most efficient method to avoid stocking-feet embarrassment. Today I will acquire six pairs each of identical blue and brown socks and a dozen pairs of white athletic socks. As is always the case when doing the purge, rogues and rebels were discovered hiding behind the washing machine, under the bed, and in the darkest recesses of the closet. You can run; but you can't hide, boys...

Yesterday also featured three hours of very vigorous scrubbing of Aunt Emilie's kitchen. The cat food on the ceiling (see previous entry on this subject) proved a formidable challenge - even for TSP - my cleaner of choice. The cat food was clearly traveling at a high-rate of speed when it hit the ceiling...

Also on today's agenda are a haircut and some housecleaning. And I have been invited to supper at the Rickey - Elgee manor.

Perhaps I will post again tomorrow; but if not, the next report will be from the City of Roses!

Finally, an item from today's New York Times regarding this week's landmark vote by the Vermont legislature overturning the Vermont Governor's veto of a bill providing for gay marriage. Vermont is the FIRST state to take this step without being prompted to do so by a court ruling of some sort.

It would be nice to think that all the votes cast on this momentous occasion were based on a principled assessment of the issue at hand; but since we're talking about professional politicians, that was, of course, not the case. Nevertheless, I tip my hat to State Representative Robert South, whose stated reason of why he voted to override was extremely principled in the manner that every pol understands:

Representative Robert South, a freshman Democrat from a conservative district, said he reversed his position after 228 of his constituents reached out and urged him to support the override, compared with 198 who urged him to oppose it.

“It was very difficult for me,” Mr. South said, “because the marriage equality bill, as far as I’m concerned, has split the state. I see how close my numbers are for and against same-sex marriage, and it’s divided my constituents, and that’s what upsets me.”

No comments: