Tuesday, April 14, 2009

A Pleasant Day in Seattle

I drove to Ballard yesterday morning for an early lunch with former USMC Drill Instructor Marian Harrigan at a good Italian joint on Market Street. Of course I had to stop-in at the local Tully's to pay my respects first. I noted most of the regulars from previous visits at their assigned duty stations...

Marian and I had a nice visit. I think the world of Terry's mom. She is a firecracker...and doing well after her bilateral hip replacements of last spring. She says she has very little pain.

Marian gave me a bon voyage gift of a book of anecdotes about American Presidents and I will not be bashful about sharing noteworthy stories with you in subsequent blog entries.





Marian arrives with flags flying - this is not a person to be trifled-with...

My lodgings at the Gaslight Inn are very pleasant. I have a big room with a private bath. The house is very nicely appointed - lots of blown glass pieces on display. Beautiful dark paneling in the public rooms and the owners are pleasant but unobtrusive. There's a small swimming pool out back, a nice yard, and a patio with a great view of the Seattle skyline.

Last evening I wandered down 15th to a commercial area where there are a number of taverns, restaurants and other commercial establishments. Had a couple of glasses of wine at a tavern and actually got roped into shooting dice with some folks at the bar for an hour or so. Just playing for drinks. Quite fun. Then a perfectly decent pizza and back to the house where I sat out on the deck and enjoyed the view for an hour or so. A most satisfactory day.


The Gaslight Inn on 15th Avenue on Capitol Hill

In other news, I could not ignore an article in yesterday's Seattle Times with the headline:

Spokane parks to detonate squirrels using propane-fueled explosions

The Rodenator Pro pumps propane and oxygen into the tunnels of squirrels, then sends an electric spark that causes an explosion. The shock waves kill the squirrels and collapse their tunnels — but in a humane way, the agency said.

I noted a follow-up story this morning. The humane society is not amused... I saw a couple of local Seattle squirrels yesterday that were the size of house cats. I'm putting my money on the squirrels.

Oh...and before I forget...please send me an email at elmerlindstrom@gci.net in the next couple of days if you wish to keep in touch while I'm onboard the Zuiderdam. I keep forgetting that I do not have access to my regular email address book while on the road and I will need your address to send emails from the ship. Apparently Holland America has their own email system of some sort...

Well, time to get packed-up. Need to head to the airport in an hour or so. Wheels up for Miami and a five hour or so cross country flight. Next report: Dateline Fort Lauderdale!

No comments: