Monday, April 6, 2009

Gotta Get Out of Here

Five days 'til vacation lift-off. Will I make it? I find myself getting more and more excited about each successive vacation - and more and more despondent upon contemplating each return. Gee. Imagine that. And this past marathon of a winter has only enhanced the desire to escape.

One is reminded of the old joke "Doctor, it hurts when I do this..." At least upon my return after this vacation it will be spring. The middle of May through the middle of June is about the best shot for sunshine in this neck-of-the-woods. And Juneau is drop-dead beautiful when the foliage first comes-out.

Checking the weather in the Great Northwest, I note an anticipated high today of 75 degrees in the City of Roses. Amanda checked-in a couple of days ago to announce she was headed to the store to buy bedding plants for her flower boxes. Jane checked-in yesterday to make sure I was aware of Portland's 70 plus degree weekend weather. Friends and family...always there to cheer you up!

Spring is in the air here in the City of Xtra Tuffs too. We've now upgraded from snow showers to rain showers - temps all the way up to the mid-40's. WooHoo! And there are large flocks of geese and mallards on the wetlands. Haven't seen Yogi yet; but the landlord has been airing-out the fortified garbage can pillbox in anticipation of visitors.

Still, about five feet of snow remains in the elders' yard...

Sadly, the fine weather in the Great Northwest is not expected to last long...it's actually been quite chilly in Portland and Seattle of late. However I note for the record (my turn to gloat now, Portlanders) that the expected high in Fort Lauderdale the day of my arrival is 84 degrees. Heh. Heh.

And I fell asleep last night with Holland America's cruise briefing document on my nightstand. Interesting reading...particularly some of the contractual fine print. Like the provision that states that they (Holland America) reserve the right to steam without navigation lights or to sail in convoy upon entering a war zone. Fine by me...

Well, lots to do today. Off to the elders for chores. Then a workout. Then pick-up my dry cleaning, get my prescription reading glasses repaired, hit the grocery store, and pick-up prescriptions for dad. I am going to make a gallon or so of stew this afternoon to take to the folks and auntie tomorrow. Auntie has consented to allow me to scrub her kitchen ceiling tomorrow. The cat food on the ceiling should have set-up pretty good by now...kitty cat food concrete.

Later gang...

2 comments:

plumber55 said...

Sounds exciting, each time we travel, we want to travel more. We are off to England in June for Rotary, but are going to do a cruise from Athens to Istanbul before that on the Regent Seven Seas Navigator, be safe and watch out for the "locals" :-)

Elmer Lindstrom said...

Excellent cuz!

"It's Istanbul not Constantinople...Istanbul not Canstantinople..." sorry...don't remember any of the lyrics from the old song other than that...

Hah!

Sounds WONDERFUL!!!!