Thursday, April 16, 2009

It's NOT a dry heat...

Greetings from Fort Lauderdale, Florida. It's clear as a bell and should be in the mid-80's about now. And it's a tad moist. I walked a couple of miles down the beach (my guesthouse is about 3 blocks from the main beach drag) and came back one soaked Alaskan. Would've been a Baked Alaskan...but I stopped for some sunblock at a grocery store.

I got here a little after midnight. It was a nice flight down. I spent a good portion of the time chatting-it-up with an attorney from D.C. who is in the construction litigation/claim biz and who also does a lot of unsecured creditor work. In fact his firm has a piece of the Bernie Madoff action...and Lehman Brothers... Not surprisingly, he just hired a couple of new associates. He had just finished a trial in Sacramento and was headed to Miami for some hearing on a big condo project that just went bust. One man's recession is another man's meal ticket...

The guest house is quite nice. The rooms are comfortable although nothing spectacular; but the grounds are way cool. A nice pool and lots of tropical greenery. I had coffee by the pool this morning with a psychologist from Manhattan and a retired guy from Toronto. It's a gay establishment - but very low key. There were some guys partying by the pool at midnight last night; but I was too tired to be titillated. The place feels very comfortable. http://www.royalpalms.com/

I spotted a couple of nice Tikki Bar - restaurant places down the beach. So...I'm thinking maybe a nap in the hammock by the pool and then another sortie down the beach for cocktails and supper. This isn't the real nightlife part of town; but based on the morning recon I think I will be able to amuse myself just fine in the neighborhood. On the other hand, after a couple of hours of Tikki Bar action, who knows? Hah! Odds are I'll be in bed by 9 PM...

Later gang...

No comments: