Saturday, April 4, 2009

Remembering the 80's...

So far on this blog I have been largely silent about the 1980's. This is for three reasons: 1) little photographic evidence of my 1980's life exists (this is probably a good thing); 2) my memory of these years is a bit hazy (this is also probably a good thing); and 3) it was my 20-something decade which could prompt a 50-something person to indulge in all of those woulda, coulda, shoulda sort of musings...

And I will not go there...

Nevertheless, one cannot ignore an entire decade. And at the time it seemed quite delightful in many respects. I was working for the legislature...in fact at the apex of the legislative staff pecking-order for much of the decade and it was truly an education. Although on the other hand - not necessarily something you would wish on your children.

During the session I would frequently go to work at 8 AM, work until 10 PM, and then whoop-it-up downtown until 3 AM. And then go home, get a couple of hours of sleep, and get up and do it all over again. And again and again....

I would like to think - that on balance - I served the State well. But I am also acutely aware of how we (collectively) pissed-away a lot of opportunity with our oil bonanza. And I was certainly in there pissing (on behalf of my boss, of course).

Such it is...as my Grandma Newman used to say....


Vice-Chairman of the House Finance Committee, Pat Pourchot, and Elmer discuss the budget very late one evening...at least I THINK that's what we were doing...

On the personal front, I have equally ambivalent memories. Lots of time spent at Louie's Douglas Inn. Lots of time spent talking politics - largely about things that were HUGELY important at the time; but now quite rightly long-forgotten.

Late in the decade I did fall seriously in love for the first time...with a gal named Carol Carroll. It was wonderful...

Fall 1988 party in Gustavus. From left to right: Tracie Bills, Carol, Carroll, Jerry Schilz, Elmer Lindstrom, and Kaye Schilz.


Fall 1989 party in Gustavus. From left to right: Gary Furlong, Elmer Lindstrom, Carol Carroll, Jay Hogan, James Elgee, Alison Elgee, and Doug Rickey.

The parties in Gustavus were end-of-summer dances. Jay played in a Big Band group that came over from Juneau. They were quite fun.

At the end of the day, Carol broke my heart. But after 20 years I only remember the fun times (there were many - at least from my perspective). And I suspect that a couple of decades is about right for somebody of my general temperament, proclivities, and prejudices to deal with these things...

So much for the 80's...

No comments: