Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Booby Buffet

Well, word came down from on high yesterday afternoon…adios Mexico, hola Costa Rica, Nicaragua and Guatemala.

This morning we’re tied up in Puntarenas, Costa Rica. Puntarenas is a small village located on a lagoon with beautiful sand beaches. It’s a regular Holland America port of call. Pretty as a postcard. The shore excursion folks had to scramble to put together a program and by the time it was published late yesterday afternoon I was napping in the Crow’s Nest and missed the opportunity to sign-up. I will go ashore later and take a stroll. It is a drop-dead gorgeous morning.

Tomorrow we’re in Corinto, Nicaragua and the following day Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala. Then four sea days as we head straight to Los Angeles arriving Wednesday, May 6th as originally scheduled.

Yesterday afternoon we were joined by a squadron of Boobies that took station soaring off the bow of the ship. As the 88,000 ton Zuiderdam makes its way through the water, we stir-up all sorts of Booby delicacies. When a bird spots something – most frequently a small flying fish, it folds back its wings and plunges straight into the water. A veritable Booby seafood buffet. From my recliner in the Crow’s Nest I had a front row seat to the Booby show.

Well, I’ve finished my morning latte, so I reckon it’s time to mosey up to the gym. Can’t say I remember ever feeling as relaxed as at present. It takes a week or so to settle into a shipboard routine; but I am now completely adjusted.

1 comment:

Eric said...

Happy to hear the good folks at Holland America are keeping you amused, and presumably swine flu free. Hopefully you will be returning with hundreds of digital images to share with your friends.