Monday, April 20, 2009

Eat, Drink, and Be Merry...

Day two – at sea, somewhere off the coast of the Yucatan Peninsula. It’s overcast today, about 80 degrees with light winds and almost calm seas. We’re cruising along at about 17 knots and will arrive in Vera Cruz tomorrow morning.


The first three Mexican ports are not normal ports of call for cruise ships. When they are repositioning the ships in spring and fall they like to stop in out-of-the-way places and Vera Cruz, Dos Bocas and Progreso all fit the bill. They just cancelled several shore excursions in Dos Bocas and Progreso due to lack of safe transportation. All of the shore excursions at these ports involve long bus rides…typically four hours…and I don’t believe the buses are of the modern air-conditioned variety. I hope you folks are not reading any Mexican bus-plunge stories over the next few days… The bottom line is that I am being coy about the shore excursions – I have not yet booked anything. But I need to make a Vera Cruz decision here in the next couple of hours.


Yesterday was delightful. Morning coffee, check the news online, a good long work-out, lunch on the Lido Deck, read a book in the Crow’s Nest for a couple of hours and then dressed for cocktails and dinner. A very delightful Beef Wellington last night. Also a very good mushroom soup.


The internet was noticeably slower this morning than it was yesterday. So I’m typing this in Word and will do a quick cut-and-paste into the blog. Minutes are expensive online.


I noted in the Anchorage Daily News that the Alaska Legislature adjourned last night in typically squalid fashion. Sounds like not much happened although I see we do have a new Senator for Juneau in the person of Mr. Dennis Egan. I assume that the Juneau Democrats are reasonably content with this outcome. I also noted that the legislature failed to pass any kind of child health care expansion. Assholes.


All of my compatriots seem to be enjoying themselves immensely. The Canadians have commandeered all of the lounge chairs by the Lido Deck pool and are busy drawing down the ship’s supply of Molson beer. A knot of Swedes spent the afternoon playing a card game of some sort in the Crow’s nest. The sizable obese contingent (pardon the pun) are contentedly mowing through the extensive menu in the Lido Restaurant on a 24-hour basis.
Well, already had my workout for the day so I guess I’ll go mosey around for awhile. I’ve got a wine tasting event in the Queens Lounge at 2 PM. Then perhaps a nap. Life is good.

No comments: