Friday, April 17, 2009

Governor Palin a Big Hit in Indiana; In Juneau - Not So Much

Tsk. Tsk. Poor Sarah. When the cat's away...

The Alaska State Legislature showed considerable judgement - not to mention good taste - when it tossed her nominee for Attorney General, Wayne Anthony Ross (WAR), overboard last evening. Although I'm sure the reasons for giving WAR the heave-ho varied from member to member and, in many cases had nothing to do with the fact he is a nut, the result is nevertheless most salutary to my mind. I just shared the news here at the Royal Palms with the morning koffee klatch and it was well received. All the guests with whom I have spoken here are daily readers of the New York Times and are disturbingly up-to-date on Alaskan politics. They are not big Sarah Palin fans. But then again, I am in a nest of degenerates.

On the other hand, Sarah was apparently well received in Evansville, Indiana where she addressed some anti-abortion crew.

On balance, she cannot be pleased with either her Alaska or national media coverage the past couple of weeks. Her tit-for-tat media exchanges with her illiterate ex-almost son-in-law a week or so ago struck me as particularly bizarre.

Meanwhile, on the vacation front, everything proceeds as planned - to the extent I had a plan for these days in Fort Lauderdale. Yesterday, I spent a good portion of the day walking the beach front esplanade. The sand and sea are quite beautiful and the beaches were crowded with sunbathers of all ages, shapes, genders, and complexions. Sunbathing is not a lost art in these parts. Wasting away in Melanomaville... Most fun I've had people-watching in years.

I took sustenance - a mediocre jambalaya and several pints of lager - at a beachfront joint called Lulu's Baitshack. You can't drink on the beach so there was a steady traffic of sunbathers to and fro' the beach immediately across the street. By the time I got back to the guesthouse the sun was setting and I called it a day. I felt vaguely disoriented yesterday - a slight case of jet lag I suspect. I slept well last night however and feel fit-as-a-fiddle this morning.

Today I think I'll take a bus to the mall. I need a couple of books for the cruise. I'm almost finished with the biography of Alexander Hamilton. I'm now in the market for a particular biography of Dr. Franklin which will conclude, for the moment, my course of study of the Founding Fathers. However for the cruise I think perhaps something lighter may be in order...

I'll also try to get back down to the beach and take a few pics. I didn't feel like lugging the camera around yesterday.

Tropical flowers at the guesthouse

Kinda clever...


There's a very comfy hammock to the right of this pic


Cheers!

No comments: