Saturday, April 11, 2009

Portland

Ah, the City of Roses. No roses yet; but it is definitely spring... The trees are mostly leafed-out and there are flowers in all the pots downtown.

I had an uneventful trip yesterday. Got into Seattle right about on time, bags appeared at baggage claim and got my car without delay. It was a nice drive to Portland from Seattle...made good time except for a little stop-and-go in the bowels of Tacoma. It's always slow through Tacoma... I arrived in Portland during rush-hour; but the GPS guided me unerringly to my destination. It got noticeably more spring-like as I drove south.

The Heathman is a nice place...right now I'm sitting in the main public room which is set-up for afternoon tea. Very relaxing.

Last evening I met the guys and dolls and we went to the Carlyle restaurant in Northwest Portland. I had a very good mussell appetizer and duck for the main course. It was good - but I definitely prefer Paley's Place or the Bluehour. The company was top-flight however. I'm in a good mood for days after spending quality time with Amanda, Leah, and Associates. I was particularly flattered to have Chris and Mathew join us - a notable sacrifice on their part since there was a Trailblazers game on last evening. Portland is all excited about the upcoming playoffs - the 'blazers have already secured a berth.

This morning we were at Macy's for the opening bell. Then the downtown mall. I think everyone was pleased with the results...I even bought a warm-up outfit for the cruise. Will get some more shorts and tees when I'm in Fort Lauderdale.

This evening Jane and John will pick me up and we'll meet Jim Larson and the Snowdens for supper at a Japanese restaurant called Bamboo. Both the gals have heard of the place and say it should be good.

Right now I'm going to go take a little rest (watch the Masters on TV) and then have a quick workout before supper. The fitness center in the hotel is fairly cheesy; but I'll do an hour on the treadmill at any rate.

It is VERY GOOD to be on vacation!

1 comment:

Eric said...

I spent yesterday in the Senate Finance Committee room for capital budget and operating budget conference committee. Today my daughter remarked on how warm it was outside. I think we topped out at 48 degrees. Your gig sounds better.