Friday, September 11, 2009

Beast

Well, another fun day in Portland and in an hour or so it will be off to the races in Redmond. I spent most of yesterday wandering around downtown. I love the river walk.

Jane and I had a very good lunch at the Italian joint in the Vintage Park Hotel. I had salmon-stuffed ravioli with a lemon cream sauce. Very tasty.

Last evening Leah, Chris and I went to "Beast" - one of the most highly rated restaurants in the city the past couple of years. I cannot say it was the best meal I have ever had (it was VERY good); but I can say it was the most elaborate meal I've yet experienced. We ate for over 2 1/2 hours. Each of the six courses was accompanied by a carefully selected wine.

In fact, there's only one way to really explain this meal:

THURSDAY SEPTEMBER 10th 2009

END OF SUMMER GAZPACHO
SHAVED CHORIZO & FICOIDE GLACIALE
Domaine Des Terrasses Gaillac Blanc - 2007

CHARCUTERIE PLATE
FOIE-GRAS BON-BON, SAUTERNES GELEE
STEAK TARTARE & QUAIL EGG TOAST
CHICKEN LIVER MOUSSE, PICKLED SHALLOT
PORK, PORK LIVER & SOUR CHERRY PATE
Nittnaus Heiderboden Pinot Blanc - 2007

PAUPIETTES DE VEAU
STUFFED VEAL ROLLS WITH TAILS & TROTTERS PORK
SUMMER CHANTERELLES & SAUTEED GREENS
Simon Bize Savigny-Les Beaunes Les Burgeots - 2005

FRISEE AUX LARDONS
POACHED EGG & SOFT CROUTONS
Copain Rose Tous Ensemble - 2008

-SELECTION OF STEVE'S CHEESE-
ANISE & FLEUR DE SEL SHORTBREAD
BITTERSWEET FARMS HONEY
FIGS & CANDIED HAZELNUTS
Karlsmuhle Geiben Riesling Spatlese Nies'Chen - 2003

BROWN BUTTER CREPE
HOUSE CHOCOLATE & HAZELNUT SPREAD
VANILLA ICE-CREAM
Quinta Do Perlada 10 yr Tawny Port

SUBSTITUTIONS POLITELY DECLINED


So there you have it.

I'm still full this morning.


No comments: