Monday, September 28, 2009

Change of Plans

Well, a slight change of plans...

I just couldn't bring myself to drive six hours on the freeway to see J.P. and then ten hours back on the freeway two days later... I called him last evening and requested a rain check. He took it well...but it may be that I owe him a Yankees game the next time I'm back East.

In any event I am now sitting in a very pleasant 1891 vintage inn north of Burlington, VT in a place called North Hero. I have a panoramic view of Lake Champlain from my balcony. The ride up here through the Green Mountains was very scenic. The foliage is turning nicely - although it actually appears to me to be more colorful south of here than in North Hero. Must be warmer near the lake...and we're at a lower elevation too.

I spent an hour or so in Bennington, VT just west of Wilmington. The picture of picturesque. Lots of color, a museum chock-a-block full of Grandma Moses originals, a nice Revolutionary War Monument, and lots of highly decorated moose. No, they're not war veterans. They're actually pieces of artwork - similar to the Seattle Pigs of a few years back. The moose are apparently a key element of the Bennington Moosefest - whatever that is... A moose or two on nearly every street corner. I have photographic evidence which I will share with you later.

Once out of the Green Mountains the terrain becomes just gentle rolling hills. Lots more agriculture. It was partly cloudy and nice for most of the drive; but as I approached Burlington the weather begin to deteriorate. It's blowing 20 knots or so on the lake and the weatherman is predicting afternoon thunderstorms. I believe he may be correct...in fact I see there are now raindrops hitting the window.

The weather is supposed to be better tomorrow although relatively cool. I may drive over to the New York side of the lake - I don't think it's too far to the Fort Ticonderoga historical site...although I'm not sure what's there. Need to do some Googling...

The plan is to spend two nights here and then connect to my original itinerary. My next stop is only an hour or so from here. And after that it's on to the White Mountains.

Finally, some very sad news from Terry Harrigan. Her beloved Irish Greyhound, Pogo, passed-away a couple of days ago. I am sure she is very sad. Hang-in there T...

Later kids.

1 comment:

SMC said...

Ticonderoga, Crown Point, Whitehall and Saratoga Springs Battle Field- well worth it. Take the ferry over to Shoreham, VT- see homes built from pillaged rocks from the NY side. The story of Ethan Allen is not complete till you see the land and understand the whole Mohawk Valley. You are so close.... Bennington, Oriskany, Klock's Fort, the religious communities in Oneida or Canterbury, the Erie Canal. See where Seward came from before battling Congress to buy his folly. You are so close to the home of John Stark in NH- hero of Bennington, Bunker Hill and more.