Friday, September 18, 2009

Whew!

Dateline Seattle: Got to my hotel about 6:30 PM after leaving Redmond around 10 AM this morning. A long day. It was a beautiful drive down from Redmond to Portland (except for the 45 minute delay for an accident). But I-5 was jammed all the way from PDX to Seattle...and there were more accidents just north of Olympia and again in the middle of Tacoma. Took me over 5 hours from Portland to Seattle.

I stopped briefly at Leah's digs in Portland to drop off my golf bag. Good riddance. So I'm traveling a bit lighter from this point forward.

I will reflect upon Redmond and post some pics this weekend. But I'm too fagged-out at the moment to fiddle with a download/upload.

I just had a very mediocre meal at the restaurant at the hotel; although the bar was OK and I chatted-it-up with a number of folks including an elderly couple from New England who thought my upcoming itinerary was well conceived. We'll see...

I also chatted with a young guy from San Francisco who downed two double whiskeys in about 10 minutes waiting for his parents to arrive for supper. He's going to the UW and the folks came up from California to watch the UW/USC football game this weekend. I thought the double doubles were a bit much - until his mom flounced into the room, threw her arms around him, and made a seriously embarrassing big scene. He gave me a very wan smile as he was led to his table. I wished him luck.

Next up in hapless college guy's seat was a very attractive gal in a striking dress with no back (I once knew what this style was called - but have forgotten). Hmmm. That still doesn't sound right. The point being she had a very attractive back - not encumbered by any dress. I got interested enough to offer her a sample of my smoked salmon with asparagus ravioli appetizer (not nearly as good as a similar dish I had in Portland) - which she graciously accepted.

But while I was distracted ordering my main course she struck up a conversation with a younger and more affluent appearing guy - who rudely planted his ass on the other bar stool next to her and who wasted no time putting-on the moves. She left with him after a very light supper and what I perceived to be a conversation that was contractual in nature.

Oh yeah - and the night cap. A melon infused grappa with a couple of small melon balls wrapped in prosciutto on a toothpick! Sweet, salty, and very tasty. Bacon in a drink. Gotta like it.

God I love the city!

Hah!

No comments: