Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Walk 'Til You Drop

Greetings from Boston. I had a good flight out on Monday...but it makes for a long day...up at 5 AM PST and arriving in Boston around 5:30 PM EST. It was 9 PM before I got checked-in and had supper. Felt a little jet-lagged yesterday...

My stupor did not stop me from having big-time fun however. I hit the Freedom Trail yesterday - walked every inch and much of it twice. I was on foot for almost 8 hours with only an hour or so off for a pint and pub grub lunch.


Walking the Freedom Trail in Boston

I'm staying in Cambridge. So I walked across the Longfellow Bridge, down Charles Street to the Public Garden, through Boston Commons and then hit the trail.

Downtown Boston is an odd mixture of old and new. Many of the streets are narrow and winding and were laid out in the 17th century. You will come upon an historical site - the Old State House for example - and it will be surrounded by glass and steel skyscrapers.


The Old State House built in 1713. It was the seat of Colonial Government

Traffic downtown is fierce - and pedestrians take absolutely no notice of the "Walk" "Don't Walk" signs. Don't think I'd own a car if I lived here...

The Trail winds through the financial district and then to the North End. The North End contains Paul Revere's house and the Old North Church. It is largely an Italian neighborhood and is way cool. About six Italian restaurants on every block - all with tables set with linen and, of course, wine glasses. Italian bakeries, markets, pizza joints, and other specialty shops everywhere.

On the side streets folks were sitting on front stoops chatting-it-up. Lots of Italian being spoken. Municipal elections are underway and lots of campaign stuff going on. I walked by a Knights of Columbus hall that was jam packed for some sort of rally.


The Old North Church of "One if by land, two if by sea" fame.

From the North End the Freedom Trail heads across the Charles River to Charlestown and the Bunker Hill memorial. Charlestown was burned to the ground during the battle in the spring of 1775. In the 20th century it was the site of a huge naval shipyard and is now the home port of the U.S.S. Constitution - "Old Ironsides."

Commissioned in 1797 as a 44 gun frigate - U.S.S. Constitution

From Charlestown I backtracked to the city and had a late pub grub lunch near the memorial to the Irish famine. While I was eating a big Irish looking guy came in - dressed in classic politico garb of dark suit, red tie, and very shiny shoes. All of the wait staff promptly deserted their posts and gathered 'round. The owner of the pub soon appeared. There was much back-slapping, laughing and general carrying-on.

I perceived the dark-suited gentleman to be an emmisary from the mayor's office on the classic ward-heeling mission. He seemed genuinely well received... He eventually sat at the bar...bought a bunch of drinks for the locals who were clearly appreciative.


The Irish immigrants to Boston were not made to feel very welcome...


...but their descendants have done quite well.

I got back to the hotel about 7 PM and my dogs were yappin'. Don't know how many miles I logged; but it was quite a few and I was thoroughly pooped. I was in bed by 10 PM and slept soundly until about 1:30 AM when all guests were roused by the clanging of the fire alarm.

Abandon ship! Five hundred or so of us trooped down the stairs (8 flights in my case) and stood in the courtyard until the local fire department sounded the "all clear." Don't have any idea what caused the alarm - and when I rolled-out this morning I wasn't even certain it had really happened - seemed kinda dream like. But I believe it did.

Well, time to plan the day. I think I'll wander up into Harvard Square. Maybe some museum action. And looking at the weather forecast for the next ten days perhaps I should find another sweater at the mall across the street. Don't think I'll have any trouble amusing myself.

Tomorrow it's off to the Cape with a stop at John Adam's place in Quincy for a photo or two.

Finally, Boston is a city of plaques. One on every corner it seems. Here is my favourite from yesterday.


Next post: dateline Provincetown MA.

No comments: