Sunday, September 27, 2009

What a Difference a Day Makes...

A couple of pics from the past couple of days...



"Peacefield" home of Abigail and John Adams in their Golden Years


Provincetown Harbor from the deck of my hotel room


The main drag in Provincetown. Lots of fun stuff!


The White House Inn in Wilmington, Vermont

Sunday morning at the White House Inn. I just had a very satisfactory breakfast accompanied by the New York Times. Very pleasant. It's a very rainy and foggy day and I was distressed to see that the 10 day forecast has deteriorated markedly. Not looking very good for the week. But I shall persevere.

The Inn has a full dining room and bar and last evening I enjoyed an excellent rack of lamb. Wilmington is having a local fall festival this weekend and the White House Inn's contribution was to sponsor a wine tasting supper last evening. The place was jammed. I do believe a good time was had by all. There's a very cozy bar on the front of the house that looks down into the village. Pretty as a picture with the sun setting behind the town.

The rustic and sedate atmosphere of the White House Inn stands in marked contrast to the edgy weirdness of P'Town. Yesterday morning in the lobby of the Boatslip Inn I typed my blog entry to the beat of Queen's "We Will Rock You." This morning's breakfast musical fare included "A Tisket, A Tasket" and other such standards from the 1930s and 40s.

The clientele of the respective establishments is equally divergent... Mostly couples here of varying ages and from various locales although I believe I am the only West Coast guest at the moment. A vaguely Agatha Christie like atmosphere prevails...

God I love vacations!

Well, there's a half-assed gym in the basement so guess I'll go have a half-assed workout. If it stops raining I will see about a short hike. I expect the men folk will be gathering in the TV room/library for the afternoon Patriot's game - although I did hear one of the younger guys say something about a sports bar down the hill. I believe tea is served in mid-afternoon.

Tomorrow it's off to Hornell, New York to see my ol' buddy J.P. Will be a bit of a drive. I don't think he has a computer so I may not post again until Wednesday evening from northern Vermont.

TallyHo!

No comments: