Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Rain, Rain Go Away...

Woke up with sun streaming in the window this morning and hit the road before 9 AM for Fort Ticonderoga. I drove north almost to the Canadian border (a mere 50 miles from Montreal, in fact) and then south along the west side of Lake Champlain. It was the best color I've seen so far - but no place to pull-off the freeway to take pics. Damn!

I got to Fort Ticonderoga before noon and had a fine time wandering the fort and the nearby gardens. Sadly it started to rain just before I left and POURED all the way back to North Hero. And it's still coming down...

The fort was the site of important battles in both the French and Indian War and the Revolutionary War. Artillery captured at the fort by the Americans early in the War of Independence were hauled to Boston in the dead of winter and when placed on Dorchester Heights forced the British to withdraw from the city.

The fort was destroyed by the British after their defeat at Saratoga and serious reconstruction did not begin until early in the 20th century. It's a very cool site - operated by the National Park Service.


Fort Ticonderoga battlements


Staff prepare to fire a "Brown Bess" - standard issue musket of the British Army for most of the 18th century


The "Kings Garden" - biggest damn dahlia I've ever seen




The garden was well past it's seasonal prime - but still quite lovely


The North Hero House Inn


Moosefest in Bennington, VT


The Bennington, Vt Battle Monument

Well, almost supper time. I had a great baked walleye last night - I've been eating lots of fish on this trip for some reason. And lobster! YUM.

Finally, an anecdote that demonstrates how friendly everyone has been in this neck-of-the-woods. This morning I asked if I could do some laundry - haven't had a chance since Redmond, Oregon. The owner said that his dryer was broken; but he'd ask if one of his housekeepers would be willing to take my laundry home and wash it. I said fine, left two sacks of laundry and a twenty dollar bill. When I got back late this afternoon all my laundry was laid-out in my room. Shirts and pants pressed. Excellent.

I went down to the front desk to thank them and the gal said the owner's MOTHER had come over to get the laundry. She didn't want to take the money - but fortunately her son insisted - since I had been insistent on that point. All the staff here are great.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

We're thrilled you enjoyed you Fort visit, Elmer! We, too, are sick of the rain...I wanted to point out the Fort Ticonderoga is NOT operated by the NPS. We are one of the few National Historic Landmarks that is a private not-for-profit site. The Fort depends on vistation and the shrinking pool of grants available for what we keep alive here! So, we're especially glad to have fans like you helping us out! Thanks so much!

Elmer Lindstrom said...

I stand corrected. And for the record, I bought a $60 jacket. Hope you get a buck or two from the gift shop.

Keep up the good work...