Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Scarecrows!

Wow! Great wifi...fastest pic uploads I've experienced on this trip. On the other hand, I'm in a blank zone for my cell phone. No service. I asked the waiter and he said it's always problematic service in this neighborhood.

But I digress. Here I am in East Middlebury, Vermont - just sixty miles or so southeast of where I was yesterday. But I'm now off Lake Champlain and in the foothills of the Green Mountains. Lots more color.

I drove down this morning and got here around noon. Going through the Town of Shelbourne I was greatly amused by all of the fancy pants scarecrows on the main drag. A custom of this particular burg apparently. I laughed out loud on a number of occasions and pulled-off the road to get pics of a couple of representative examples.


A typical Shelbourne scarecrow family


The Shelbourne Vineyards scarecrows

Once in Middlebury I located my lodgings but it was too early to check-in. So I drove up Highway 125 which crosses the Green Mountains. A beautiful drive. LOTS of color and a sizable elevation gain. They may have some snow at the higher elevations tonight...



Some real fall colour


Welcome to Ripton, Vermont in the Green Mountains


The Ripton Church - pretty much the classic New England fall pic

After the drive I had a two-and-a-half hour workout at a local gym. First time in a real gym in a couple of weeks. It felt good.

Tomorrow it's off to Bretton Woods, New Hampshire and the Mount Washington Resort. Should be a fabulous drive - the foliage should be near its peak as I head east.

Later gang.

No comments: