Saturday, September 26, 2009

Bye Bye "P" Town

Greetings from Provincetown, Mass. A beautiful day - although it's cooled down a tad. I'm about to hit the road for Wilmington VT and the Whitehouse Inn.

I had a great trip from Boston on Thursday. Stopped to pay my respects to Abigail and John Adams in Quincy. A very different setting from his Virginia associates. The Adams House got about 40,000 visitors a year until the McCullough biography and PBS series were released. Now it's about 250,000 a year. They plan to build a proper visitors center - which would be a good thing. Took some pics - but this connection isn't sufficient to upload.

The drive to Provincetown was kinda boring. I thought it would be on the water much of the way; but you don't catch a glimpse of the sea until you arrive in town.

I had big time fun in "P" Town. It's a classic seaside resort. Lots of funky stuff - good restaurants, galleries, bars and so forth. All within convenient walking distance. I have tried to stay off my feet - hope to be healed-up enough to do some serious hiking later in the week. We'll see...

There is a Tennessee Williams theater festival in town this week. The visitors are thus even more colourful than usual in a town that is plenty colourful on the dullest of days. It is quite a spectacle. Last night I found myself in the company of a troupe of trans-gendered folks. They were a serious hoot. I left them at the bar in the hotel around midnight. They were just getting warmed-up...

It's supposed to cloud-up tonight and rain tomorrow. But back in the high 70's on Monday. Then fall-like for the rest of the week. I saw on the TV this morning that the fall foliage is in full swing in northern Vermont and New Hampshire. So I'm optimistic for lots of good picture taking later in the week.

Well, gonna hit the road. Having a ton of fun.

No comments: