Monday, March 10, 2008

Alaska Open Highlights

Sorry I've been off-line for a couple of days. But it was because I was having too much FUN!

I drove up to Palm Desert from Casa Grande on Saturday. It was a nice drive though a tad barren in places. I drove west on the interstate to El Centro, California and then north on California Hwy 111 to Palm Desert. The interstate segment was all desert. Don't know why anyone would take the 3:10 to Yuma - or go there at any other time for that matter. There are sand dunes just west of Yuma that I suppose could be fun for 4-wheeling or other off-road stuff...but it's just not my cup of tea.

Highway 111 goes through the heart of America's Salad Bowl - the Imperial Valley. I know veggies are good for us - but it makes you wonder to see all the cattle feedlots and other stuff sitting next door to your dinner salad.

The highway then winds-up the eastern shore of the Salton Sea - which is a bizarre body of water that appears devoid of life. I guess it's pretty polluted. There are a few sorry-ass campgrounds and picnic areas; but not a lot of water-related recreation that I could see. I've posted a couple of pics from this wasteland.

But I digress...

The purpose of this entry it so stick a fork into the 2008 Alaska Open.

I have struggled to come-up with an apt comparison and have settled on the Golden North Salmon Derby as I recall the boozy boatnik events of thirty years ago or so when I would go out with my dad and his buddies. Lots of hearty (read drunken) fellowship by mostly middle-aged folks having a real good time.

I expect that many of the stories I heard last week have been told for many years. And all have been polished to a very high degree of perfection. Bullshit is King for four days and four nights and all the longtime participants have their established roles.

Laura's afternoon Happy Hours are clearly a key element in the whole drama.

Bottom line: I can't wait for next year!

No comments: