Sunday, March 2, 2008

What a Difference a Day Makes

The wind blew and the shit flew - as the late Rep. Ernie Haugen from Petersburg used to say...

Today it blew about 30 miles per hour all day. I hit balls on the range, practiced pitching and chipping, and hit the putting green for an hour and a half or so. Then I played 9 holes late this afternoon. I should have had a pool day. It's HARD to figure out what your ball is going to do in a 30 mph wind...but generally speaking...it's not good.

Laura Beason drove over from Palm Springs. It sounds like it was a white-knuckle trip. Lots of sand reducing visibility and tumbleweeds rolling over the highway. YIKES!

I guess it was nasty all the way to San Diego.

The bar was loaded with Juneau folks this evening. And most of the Juneau folks were also loaded. I'm ashamed to say I didn't recognize most of them. But I yukked it up with Mark Notar and his regular golf buddies. Had a very good supper...Breast of Duck Muscovy. The best meal I've had at the resort.

The forecast is for the wind to die down by tomorrow, although it's only supposed to be around 69 degrees. I might actually have to wear long pants! Then it's supposed to be in the mid-70's for the rest of the week. Should be poifect.

Last night the wind shifted and all of a sudden it got REAL RIPE. Apparently there is a cattle feedlot not too far away; but generally downwind. OOFTA! I thought a cow had crapped on my balcony. The Old West lives on!

Assuming the weather is acceptable, I will play 18 holes tomorrow. And Laura is going to host a cocktail hour. I promise you pictures from that event.

Elmo

2 comments:

Susan said...

Got a good laugh about the cows. Bakersfield sits in Kern County and one of top commodities is milk. Well, we all know milk comes from cows so I can relate to what happens when the wind blows! Did you know that cow farts produce methane gas and that causes air polution? I say just hook up those cow butts to a converter and convert all that gas into useful entergy. Maybe my next vehicle will fun off of a cow byproduct. I can see it now - the Ford Flatulence!

Elmer Lindstrom said...

LOL.The methane along with all the hot air from the Juneau golfers could be a pretty potent mix.

But the wind has shifted again today and it's pretty pleasant at the moment.