Friday, March 14, 2008

Sedona Arrival

A great road trip today. I headed east from Laughlin to Kingman, Arizona and then hit the interstate all the way to Flagstaff. It got more scenic as I headed east...and by the time I got near Flagstaff - there was snow! Not on the highway - but in the meadows.

Flagstaff is near 7000 feet - and the wind was blowing and it was NOT hot. In fact, it was cold for an Alaskan in flip-flops and shorts.

From Flagstaff I took Hwy 89 to Sedona. It is spectacular! See the pics I've posted. You drop from 7000 feet to 5000 feet in a few miles. As you drop in elevation you see the foliage change as the temperature rises. And then you get into the fabulous red rocks...a strata that seems to be about 2000 feet or so from top-to-bottom as near as I can tell.

I checked into my resort and then drove down the road about ten miles and took a hike up "Doe Mountain." I even saw a couple of deer on the road on the way to the trail head. It wasn't a long hike; but the elevation gain was substantial. And the wind was blowing about 30 mph.

The weather is supposed to hold for one more day (although it will be windy) so I plan on a good long hike tomorrow.

Bottom line: Today was a damn fine day.

Hasta Manana.

No comments: