Thursday, March 20, 2008

Portland Food Fest

Ah, back in the City of Roses. I like this place and the Benson Hotel is beginning to feel like home away from home.

I got in about 5 PM on Tuesday...a long day that began with a 5 AM wake-up call at the flea-bag hotel I was staying at in Phoenix. But Alaska Airlines delivered me to Seattle on time and flying first class does make a difference as far as minimizing fatigue and general post-911 travel stress. It appears that I did lose my aerosol suntan lotion to the TSA functionaries however. They left me a nasty note. The drive from Seattle to Portand was nice - even had a little sun.

I hooked-up with Art and Sher Snowden for supper on Tuesday evening at a GREAT restaurant called the Bluehour located in the Pearl District. Art brought a bottle of Silver Oak Cabernet to the party. I had a seafood bisque that was wonderful as a first course and a very tasty New York steak with a delightful red wine based sauce. And Baked Alaska Lemon Tartlet for dessert.

I slept in until almost 9 AM yesterday, walked around town for a couple of hours, had a workout and then met Jane up by her office at 4 PM. We went to her place and walked to the Rhodedendron Garden in her neighborhood. It's still a little early for most rhodies, but the garden was still beautiful. There are natural springs in the area and they are all linked together in a series of streams and lakes. And there's a very attractive 18-hole golf course that I would like to try out... The lakes are inhabited by a fair sized population of geese and ducks - all of whom are seriously on the mooch. These are not bashful birds.

Jim Larson came over to Jane's around 6:30 PM and we went to a very good Greek/Mediterranean place in Sellwood. The appetizer menu was extensive and we had several that were great. For an entree I had leg of lamb with a very well seasoned tomato based sauce served over pasta. Yummy.

Then I got to ride around with Jane and John for a bit as we tracked-down their daughter Morgan over by Lloyd Center. Morgan had been out with friends for Thai food and was hanging-out in what is, to John's and Jane's way of thinking, an undesirable neighborhood. Morgan was unrepentant. John and Jane were NOT amused although I confess I was. The first thing that tickled me was that she was out for Thai food - a cuisine the existence of which I was unaware at her age.

John, Jane, and Morgan are off to Puerto Vallarta tomorrow for a week in the sun.

I think I did make progress in convincing Jim to come to Juneau in July with his daughters. Oh yeah, and it's possible that I MAY have volunteered Dougie to do his BBQ thing and Eric to house the Larson clan. I have agreed to serve as the Juneau Event Coordinator.

I'm waiting to hear from Leah and Amanda today regarding tonight's gastronomical expedition.

Life is good.

1 comment:

Eric said...

Elmer, you are my retirement hero. Jim, you are welcome anytime.

Eric