Thursday, March 13, 2008

Another Roadside Attraction

Another beautiful day. I attempted to play golf at a nice course; but was told I would have to wait over an hour to get on so I went back to the cow pasture course for 18 holes. Practiced my irons - had a good time.

On the way back, I stopped to look at a "historical marker" that I had noticed the day before. It told me that if I would only take the time to drive 15 miles into the middle of nowhere I could visit the Oatman Mining District which was a hot-spot of gold mining in the area from around 1900 until 1930.

I went for it. What I found was a peculiar little end-of-the-roaders' place where a hundred or so folks are attempting to earn a living by selling trinkets to tourists in a former mining town called Oatman Junction. It's on Historic Route 66. And it's only redeeming feature is that they have a half-dozen or so Jackasses that wander up-and-down Main Street. For a buck you can buy a couple of carrots to feed the Jackasses.

The Jackasses appear to be thriving. The rest of the residents - not so much. And I wouldn't turn my back on a Jackass who thought I was holding out on the vegetables either.

Tomorrow I'm off to Sedona. I'm going to put golf behind me for the moment and hope to do a little hiking and get some good pictures. But the weather is supposed to turn...so we'll see.

Hasta Luego.

No comments: