Thursday, March 20, 2008

Just Another Great Day - With One Little Exception

I had a pretty quiet day. Went for a walk - I actually have a regular route from the Benson. Worked out for an hour and a half or so.

Tonight I had an excellent supper at Hula Hands in North Portland with Amanda, Leah, and Chris. Everyone seems to be in good spirits and thriving.

I suspected that Barack Obama was going to be staying at the Benson - there have been local cops and Secret Service guys around all day. When I got back to the hotel after supper I went to the lobby bar for a nightcap and fell into great company.

Karen Russell, an attorney from Seattle, and the daughter of NBA great, Bill Russell, was holding court. She is working on the Barack Obama campaign and organizing a breakfast fundraiser for tomorrow. On my other side was an AP photographer, Rick, (whose last name I have already forgotten) and his wife. Rick is stationed in Portland; but has worked the Obama campaign on the road. He has done several stints covering the White House and just got off the campaign trail a couple of weeks ago. My impression is that he is regarded as an AP elder.

And then...in walks Senator Obama. The room was not crowded. The Senator was greeting some of the staff from the hotel. I looked at the AP guy and said "Can I just walk up to him?" He said "Sure." So I did and shook his hand. I told the Senator that I stood for him in my caucus in Juneau, Alaska. He smiled and said "That's why I won Alaska." He seemed totally at ease; but also looked really tired. I'm still amazed by the experience.... I will send him more money tomorrow.

After the Senator disappeared all the guys from the press bus filed in. Several of them were old colleagues of Rick's and came over for a drink. One guy was talking about the Senator's Philadelphia speech...how he was poised at his camera waiting for the candidate's wife to tear-up - and how it was a speech that would go down in history. This guy was really WIRED - think of working the last day of an Alaska legislative session with your priority bill on the line wired. And I suspect that's the way these guys operate for days and weeks and months on end. Couldn't do it myself - at least not anymore.

So...I had a great day...with a most interesting twist.

Senator Obama has a big rally in Portland tomorrow. My daughter Leah got a ticket and is going to attend. I'm feeling proud to be a Democrat these days...

No comments: